On a beautiful Father’s Day Sunday the Newmarket Shetland Pony Grand National took place in the Peter O’Sullevan Arena.
Runners and riders were as follows:
- 1. Madeline Reader-Smith riding Broardspring Phamton
- 2. Sienna Shepherd riding Aberdyant
- 3. Danielle Sheehan riding Gruntness Inogee
- 4. Evie Denton riding Briar Tiffany
- 5. Lucy Aspell riding Mahagadartin Elevator
- 6. William Henson riding Gateback Lily
- 7. Sophie Stiles riding Ulverscroft Hunter
- 8. Evie Denton riding Shelcroft Buttercup
- 9. Fern Sherwood riding Holltdell PoseidonMinstral
- 10. Jack Lander riding Millhouse Commander
- 11. Sydney Lee riding Coppice Bay Rose
- 12. Rocco Dettori riding Mahagadartin Bees Wax
Two heats and a final took place at 12pm and 2.30pm, where our visitors were able to cheer home the speedy ponies and their very stylish jockeys.
The races were not without their drama – with one faller in the first, and two in the second heat of the first round the race was full of excitement! Luckily all the jockeys and ponies were unhurt. It was real glimpses into the future of jockeys, as a number of those competing today will go onto become professionals in years to come. Winners of the heats included son of the famous Frankie Dettori, Rocco, who led from the front on both occasions to finish first in the morning and afternoon heats, and finishing second in the final. However, it was the girls who shone on the day, Sophie won the first final, with a very stylish ride on the bay pony Ulverscroft Hunter, and Danielle winning the afternoon final on Gruntness Inogee, in the colours of the very famous racehorse owner Michael Tabor. These colours will be aboard many fancied runners at Royal Ascot this week including the 2000 guineas winner ‘Churchill’.
Final 1 Result:
1st Sophie Stiles
2nd Sienna Shepherd
3rd Lucy Aspell
4th Rocco Dettori
5th Evie Denton
6th Danielle Sheehan
Final 2 Result:
1st Danielle Sheehan
2nd Rocco Dettori
3rd Evie Denton
4th Sydney Lee
5th Lucy Aspell
6th Sienna Shepherd
We were joined by some brilliant guests that included Champion Australian racehorse trainer Gai Waterhouse, Grand National winning jockey Leighton Aspell and of course the talented cartoonist Darren Bird, who presented each winner with a sketch.
For anyone who visited we hope you enjoyed the day, and for those that couldn’t make it – keep an eye out on our What’s On page to keep up to date with events and activities for all of the family.
To find out more about the Shetland Pony Grand National, or find out how to get involved then please CLICK HERE >
Photo credit: Mike Anscombe